Through a program set up by the South Coast Air Quality Management District (SCAQMD), Irvine residents, as well as residents from most other Orange County cities, are eligible to receive a high-performance electric mower at a discount of up to 75 percent. To qualify, you must live within the AQMD district and trade in your working gas mower. As you will see when you click on the AQMD district link, many Los Angeles, Riverside, and San Bernardino county residents also qualify.
Two brands and five models of these electric mowers are available. They are cordless, rechargeable, 50 percent quieter than most gas-powered mowers, environmental-friendly, and light weight. Your cost will be between $100 and $250 depending on the model that you choose. Here are more details on the available options:
- The 20” Greenstation® (24v), which has a retail value of $430, can be purchased for $150.
- The 20” Greenstation® Self-propelled (24v), which has a retail value of $470, can be purchased for $220.
- The 18” Black&Decker (36v), which has a retail value of $379, can be purchased for $100.
- The 19″ Black & Decker (36v), which has a retail value of $429, can be purchased for $180.
- The Black&Decker 19″ self-propelled mower (36v), which has a retail value of $479, can be purchased for $250.
Pre-registration is mandatory. You can register online or by calling SCAQMD at 1-(888) 425-6247. Call-in times are Tuesday through Friday at 8 am to 5 pm. The remaining exchange dates are at the Anaheim Stadium on July 13 and at Bourns Inc. in Riverside on June 8.