“In a … city with three jobs for every housing unit, a mix of affordability in our housing is critical to the long-term success of our economy and our community.”—Sukee Kang, mayor 2011
Irvine will be getting some additional affordable housing options in the near future. Phase two of Doria Apartment Homes started construction last week at 1000 Crested Bird, which is located in Stonegate (one of Irvine’s newer neighborhoods located in the north-eastern section of Irvine). These homes are being built by Jamboree Housing on land donated by the Irvine Company and are part of the City of Irvine’s Community Land Trust.
Phase one, which consists of 60 apartment homes, was completed in 2011. According to Jamboree Housing, phase two, which will consist of 74 apartments, is expected to hit the market in February 2014 with a cost of $256 to $1,331.
· Spanish Colonial-style architecture that integrates with the surrounding architecture in Stonegate
· Access to a pool and tot lot
· A 3,000 square-foot community building that includes the management offices, kitchen, computer lab and multi-purpose room for resident services (provided by Housing with HEART, Jamboree's resident services group)
· Energy efficiency features that reduce utility costs to the renters and management: ENERGY STAR refrigerator, dishwasher, microwave and stove (In addition, the property exceeds Title 24 energy efficiency standards by approximately 15%.)
· A combination of tuck-under garages, on-grade spaces, and stand-alone garage buildings
Is there a need for affordable housing in Irvine (or Orange County for that matter)? If you read the papers or listen to the news, you will learn that housing costs and rents are making a rapid increase in Orange County. In addition, these words that are written in bold, red letters at the top of a Jamboree Housing’s webpage regarding the 74 rental homes might give you an idea: To be added to the existing list of 1,500 applicants from Doria I, contact the leasing office at (949) 701-4719.
Note: 10 homes are set aside for those who receive Mental Health Services Act (MHSA)services.